The Quebec government has announced the holding of an independent investigation into the Montreal Police Department and the events leading to the arrest of Mamadi III Fara Camara, wrongly accused of having attacked a police officer.
• Read also: Camara accepts the apologies of the SPVM
• Read also: Mamadi Fara Camara officially exonerated by the SPVM
“We have to get to the bottom of things,” Prime Minister François Legault said after his government’s announcement of the launch of an independent inquiry.
The Minister of Public Security, Geneviève Guilbault, will recommend to the Council of Ministers, Wednesday, to entrust to the judge Louis Dionne the mandate to lead this examination.
“The latter will be responsible for validating the relevance of the actions taken by the police officers according to the legal framework and recognized practices in the matter. It will also be able to make recommendations as to concrete measures to be implemented in order to prevent such a situation from recurring, ”she said in a press release on Tuesday.
The report resulting from this investigation will subsequently be made public, in whole or in part, to the extent that it will be possible to do so without harming a police investigation or possible legal proceedings, it is also explained. .
These terms did not satisfy the lawyers of Mr. Camara, who hoped that the investigation would come to light.
“What we have right now is a restricted legal framework. It does not matter who is named to be responsible for this investigation, it is behind closed doors, and I do not believe that it is a good thing, affirmed Me Alain Arsenault at the microphone of Mario Dumont, at Qub radio.
The lawyer called for “serious guarantees of independence” for his client to participate in the investigation. “Do we have the best possible investigation under the circumstances? Given that this is not a public inquiry, it is problematic, ”he denounced.
Louis Dionne has been a judge of the Superior Court of Quebec since 2013. He previously held the position of director of the fight against organized crime at the Sûreté du Québec, then various positions of associate deputy minister and deputy minister in the ministries of the Public Security and Justice.
In 2007, he served as Director of Criminal and Penal Prosecutions (DPCP), then was appointed judge of the Court of Quebec in 2011 before being appointed to the Superior Court in February 2013.
“As Minister of Public Security, my first concern is to prevent innocent people from finding themselves in situations similar to that experienced by Mr. Camara. Our citizens’ trust in our police and judicial institutions depends on it, ”explains Geneviève Guilbault in her letter.
Having already called for a public inquiry, the mayoress of Montreal Valérie Plante was delighted with the “quick” decision of the government of Quebec.
“The announced investigation meets the desired objectives, namely to set up a neutral investigation into the entire process leading to the confirmation of Mr. Camara’s innocence last Friday,” said Ms. Plante in a written statement sent Tuesday after -midday.
The mayor reiterated that efforts must be continued to find the attacker of the police officer Sanjay Vig, injured in the head during the events.
In charge of the laboratory, Mamadi Fara Camara was wrongly accused of having attacked, then disarmed and shot this policeman. He was held for six days before the authorities realized their mistake. He received and accepted the apologies of the Montreal police director, Sylvain Caron, on Monday, without excluding the filing of a civil suit.