Woman attacked by Juan Fernando Barona affirmed that the Prosecutor's Office has not communicated with her

Spread the love

The statements were released in an audio recording of just over two minutes, warning that the only channel to provide information in this regard will be the Feminist Legal Network

Woman attacked by Juan Fernando Barona affirmed that the Prosecutor's Office has not communicated with her

In the image, the journalist Juan Fernando Barona, who attacked his now ex-partner in an elevator. Photo: private file

Through a thread on Twitter, the Feminist Legal Network, to which the attorney of the woman who was attacked by the now former journalist of Noticias Uno Juan Fernando Barona belongs, made known what the judicial process is about and revealed, in a audio of just over two minutes, the only known statements of the woman, warning that the only channel to provide information in this regard will be the Feminist Legal Network itself.

In the audio, the woman begins by thanking the solidarity of all the people with her case, because “they have highlighted how important it is to expose and properly and diligently attend to violence against women.”

The woman, then, begins to relate her case, pointing out that after the events, which took place on October 15, she filed the respective complaints with the authorities, with the help and advice of the Feminist Legal Network, she managed to, the week last week, the family police station in which the complaint was filed decided to maintain the protection measures in his favor.

“The previous week we had a hearing at the family police station and there, after reviewing the evidence provided, the police station decided to maintain the protection measure in my favor, ordering Juan Fernando to cease any act of violence as well as to stay away. On the other hand, the Prosecutor's Office has not communicated with me so far.”

Immediately, the woman points out that, due to the attack, she is receiving psychological support. Later, he warns how frustrating it is to see the attempts to manipulate the facts of his ex-partner, who revealed photographs with which he shields himself by saying that he was also a victim of aggression.

“Likewise , due to the sequels of emotional level that all this has left me, I find myself with psychological accompaniment. It is very frustrating how Juan Fernando says that I attacked him and shows photos of those injuries, when he was clearly defending me within the attack; added to the fact that he says that it is a matter of his intimacy, when domestic violence must be discussed and fought in the public sphere”.

In the audio published by the Feminist Legal Network, the woman also calls on the authorities so that there is justice and there are no delays in the process, likewise, she called on all women to create support networks.

“The call that I make is to the institutions, especially the Prosecutor's Office and the court where I took my case, so that there are no delays in the process, so that there is prompt and effective justice. Likewise, I want to make a call to all women: that we all accompany each other, create each other and establish support networks.”

At the end of the audio, the woman thanked and pondered the measures taken by Noticias Uno, the medium where Barona worked, once they learned of the events.

“In the same way, I want to thank Noticias Uno in a very special way for the actions taken against Juan Fernando, it is a very clear message of no tolerance against violence against women.”

It is worth remembering that when the acts of violence in which the journalist was involved became known, the director of the outlet, Jorge Acosta, spoke through his Twitter account and confirmed that, despite removing Barona from his position, he will have the right “to due process” and, although he was fired, they would finance the flight with which he will return to the country, since he was accompanying President Gustavo Petro's tour, along with other journalists.

“From this moment on, Juan Fernando Barona is no longer part of Noticias Uno. The administrative and editorial teams learned tonight of the serious images spread on social networks. Mr. Barona has the right to his defense within due process. Because he was abroad covering a presidential tour, he was instructed to return to the country on the next stop.”