Trump presidential campaign officials asked Meta to reinstate his Facebook account

Spread the love

They argue that keeping him off the platform interferes with the political process, as he will run for president in 2024

Trump presidential campaign officials asked Meta to restore his Facebook account

Trump lost access to his Facebook and Instagram accounts on January 6 2021

The campaign of Donald Trump has asked the parent company of Facebook to restore their access, arguing that it has stated that present your2024 presidential bid and that keeping him off the shelf interferes with the political process.

The Trump campaign sent a letter Tuesday to Mark Zuckerberg , the CEO of Meta Platforms Inc., and other company officials, requesting a meeting “to discuss President Trump's prompt reinstatement of the platform.”

“As the United States faces critical issues impacting its citizens and the world, and as the country begins the process of electing its next president, we believe Meta should encourage full dialogue and robust, and not silence presidential candidates,” the campaign says in the letter.

A Meta spokesperson said the company will announce its decision on Trump's access this month.

Trump lost access to his Facebook and Instagram accounts on January 6, 2021, after the company found that some of his posts incited supporters to riot in the US and prevented Congress from confirming the results of the presidential election, which Joe Biden won. The temporary suspension was replaced by an “indefinite” suspension the following day.

Meta asked its supervisory board, a group of company-selected outside lawyers, journalists and policy experts, to review its decision, ultimately deciding that the suspension would last for at least two years. Nick Clegg, president of Global Affairs at Meta and a former UK deputy prime minister, is responsible for deciding whether to reinstate Trump's account.

Trump presidential campaign officials asked Meta to reinstate his Facebook account

Lawmakers said Trump continued to post “harmful election content” and amplify the QAnon sites on Truth Social (REUTERS/Leah Millis/File Photo)

Trump's December 19 tweet encouraging supporters to go to Washington on January 6 — “Wow, that's going to be crazy!”— was a transformative moment on social media, shifting the tenor of online conversation to explicit planning for the event, according to an unpublished report from House committee staff Jan. 6.

The Trump campaign noted in its letter that Elon Musk, owner and CEO of Twitter Inc., reversed a permanent ban on the former president's account in November. Trump has not posted to Twitter again and said he will stick with Truth Social, his own social media platform.

Lawmakers sent a letter to Clegg on last month urging Meta to continue with the suspension of Trump.

Lawmakers said Trump continued to post “harmful election content” and amplify < b> QAnon on Truth Social, which would likely violate Meta's policies, and “has every reason to believe he would bring Facebook-like conspiracy rhetoric if given the chance.”

(With information from Bloomberg)

Continue reading:

Previous Article
Next Article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *