The teacher shot by a 6-year-old student in the United States sued the school authorities
Abigail Zwerner and other teachers warned that the boy might have a weapon and was threatening others. However, the school administrators “didn't care”, denounced the lawyer
The event occurred in the Richneck Elementary School in Newport News, Virginia
On Friday, January 6, a 6-year-old boy shot his teacher at a Virginia elementary school, United States, leaving the teacher injured. The minor would have shot the teacher when they were both in a classroom at Richneck College in the district of Newport News, a fact that has been described as intentional by the chief of the Virginia Police, Steve Drew, in statements collected by the CNN network.
The teacher's lawyer announced on Wednesday a lawsuit against the school authorities, stating that they would ignored multiple warnings about the threat it presented to a 6-year-old boy. The lawyer, Diane Toscano, commented that school administrators were warned three times on the day of the incident, both by her client Abigail Zwerner and by other teachers, that the boy appeared to have a weapon and that he made threats.
That morning, Zwerner, 25, told school authorities that the boy, who has not been identified at this time, had threatened to hit another boy< /b>. An hour later, Another teacher reportedly reported that the boy had apparently brought a gun to school and could have it in his pocket in the schoolyard. Then a third teacher reported that another student, crying, had seen the gun and had been threatened with it. “But the school administration didn't care ”, Toscano said in filing the lawsuit.
No action was taken and a school employee was denied permission to search the boy and his belongings, An administrator would have said that the minor “had small pockets” and that the subject had to be left until the end of the school day. Almost an hour later, Zwerner was shot, “in front of those horrified children,” Toscano said, “This tragedy was entirely preventable if the school administrators responsible for school safety had done what they had to and took action when aware of imminent danger,” added the attorney.
The teacher survived the gunshot to the chest, she is currently recovering at home, but will need to undergo further surgeries.
Abigail Zwerner and other teachers warned the boy might have a weapon and was threatening others.
Later Wednesday, Newport News authorities announced the decision to fire the school district's superintendent, George Parker III, “based on the future trajectory and needs of our school division.” The school board noted that the decision was made without reason, as Parker would have been a capable leader of the division and was grateful for his service.
The case was shocking on a large scale, mainly due to the age of the boy, who apparently obtained the gun from a closet in his home and belonged to his mother. The boy's parents released a statement last week, praising Zwerner and saying the gun was in a safe place.
In this statement they said that the boy suffers “acutely disabled” and is under a special school care plan which usually involved a family member accompanying him to school and class.
“The week of the shooting was the first week we weren't in class with him”, the parents said.
Because of his age, the child is unlikely to be charged. However, their parents could face charges for allowing the child access to a weapon.
(With information from AFP)