Tue. Jul 23rd, 2024

The Israeli army called for the evacuation of Gaza City residents

Natasha Kumar By Natasha Kumar Jul11,2024

The Israeli army called for the evacuation of residents of Gaza City

The Israeli military on Wednesday, July 10, called on residents of Gaza City to evacuate to the central and southern parts of the enclave.

The order became known from leaflets dropped from the air, which said that the area “remains a dangerous war zone.” The leaflets indicated two “safe routes” by which people could evacuate the area.

"Today's directives will only increase the massive suffering of Palestinian families, many of whom have already had to change their place of residence more than once, – said the press secretary of UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres Stephane Dujarric. – These civilians must be protected and their basic needs met whether they flee or remain.”

As the Associated Press reported, “there was no immediate mass exodus” because Many Palestinians believe there is no safe haven in the Gaza Strip.

The call for evacuation comes amid an Israeli offensive in central Gaza.

The IDF had earlier carried out airstrikes on Nuseirat and Khan Yunis, killing at least six people, news agencies reported. and several more were injured. Eight people were killed in an airstrike on a house in Deir al-Balah, located in a “humanitarian safe zone” where Palestinians had been asked to seek refuge.

Senior Research Fellow at the Middle East Institute Nimrod Goren (Nimrod Goren) in conversation with Voice of America spoke of how new attacks could derail ceasefire talks, despite Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's agreement to send a delegation to the negotiations.

“What matters is not whether military attacks continue during the negotiations, but the situation,” Goren said. He said the main disagreement between the parties on the ceasefire issue is “whether Israel will be able to continue fighting in Gaza,” an option that is completely rejected by the Hamas leadership (designated a terrorist organization by the United States). Goren said that in addition to Netanyahu and his associates, even the president and defense minister are participating in the public debate in Israel. “[The debaters] are calling for the negotiations to be given a chance to move forward. They admit that they can make any concessions on security for the sake of bringing home the 120 people still being held by Hamas,” he said, calling the task a “national priority.”

According to him, people are confident that Israel can handle the security problems and just want “the issue to be closed.” At the same time, he noted that “Netanyahu does not seem to fully agree with this.”

Netanyahu believes that military pressure is the best way to encourage Hamas to release the hostages.

Prepared by: Sergey Daga

Natasha Kumar

By Natasha Kumar

Natasha Kumar has been a reporter on the news desk since 2018. Before that she wrote about young adolescence and family dynamics for Styles and was the legal affairs correspondent for the Metro desk. Before joining The Times Hub, Natasha Kumar worked as a staff writer at the Village Voice and a freelancer for Newsday, The Wall Street Journal, GQ and Mirabella. To get in touch, contact me through my natasha@thetimeshub.in 1-800-268-7116

Related Post