The divorce between 'Canelo' Álvarez and DAZN with 300 million euros at stake

The divorce between 'Canelo' Álvarez and DAZN with 300 million euros at stake

The Mexican files a lawsuit against the TV platform, with whom he had signed a contract in October 2018.

The divorce between 'Canelo' Álvarez and DAZN with 300 million euros at stake

Saúl 'Canelo' Álvarez , world middleweight champion, played his last fight on November 2 against Sergey Kovalev . Since that evening in Las Vegas, the Mexican has not been able to resolve any fight due to the Covid-19 pandemic, despite the multimillion-dollar contract that joins him with his promoter and the DAZN television platform. Fed up with this situation, this Tuesday he finally decided to go to court.

“I am the number one pound for pound in the world. I am not afraid of any opponent and I will not let the mistakes of my distribution platform or promoters keep me out of the ring,” said 'Canelo' after filing a lawsuit in court Los Angeles federal. The legal action is directed against Óscar de la Hoya , owner of Golden Boy Promotions, against the distribution company itself and against the aforementioned DAZN.

In October 2018, Álvarez signed a € 310 million contract with the streaming company, which promised to broadcast 11 fights in five years. De la Hoya defined that agreement as “the most lucrative in the history of sports.” “We want boxing to be as accessible as possible and at a comfortable price for all fans,” added the former legendary Mexican fighter.

30 million per match

However, since then 'Canelo' could only get into the ring three times. In December 2018 he defeated Rocky Fielding in New York by technical KO for the World Association super middleweight title; in May 2019 he won by unanimous decision over Daniel Jacobs in Las Vegas; and six months later he knocked out Kovalev at the aforementioned Grand Garden Arena evening.

The fighter from Guadalajara, with two confirmed annual fights, expected to receive almost 30 million euros per fight. However, the crisis triggered by the global health situation truncated the plans of DAZN and Golden Boy Promotions. According to the latest leaks, the two parties could not even guarantee Álvarez half of the agreement.

Non-compliance and fraud

“After this demand I can return to boxing and give my fans the fights they deserve,” Canelo said Tuesday, with a balance of 53 wins in 56 fights, 36 of them by KO. His only loss came on September 14, 2013, to Floyd Mayweather in Las Vegas.

The 24-page lawsuit, accessed by Boxing Scene , alleges, among other reasons, that DAZN and the De la Hoya developer committed breach of contract, fraud, negligent meddling and breach of fiduciary duty. The lawyers of 'Canelo' estimate the economic losses of his client at 238 million euros.

Finally, it is worth mentioning that Álvarez's astronomical agreement until 2023 was surpassed in recent months by two American athletes. Patrick Mahomes signed 12 years with the Kansas City Chiefs of the NFL in exchange for 427 million euros and Mike Trout was committed until 2030 with the Los Angeles Angels of the MLB for 363 million euros.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *