Suppliers claim Chinese company payment of S/10 million

Suppliers claim Chinese company payment of S/10 million

Chinese-Peruvian consortium refuses to cancel debt to 46 suppliers that provided machinery, construction materials and labor for the construction of a 6.8 km highway in Samegua, Moquegua.

  • Observation Commission summons Pedro Castillo to testify on June 21
  • Juan Silva escapes : Minister Dimitri Senmache spoke before the plenary session of Congress

Suppliers claim Chinese company paid S/10 million

Suppliers demand payment of S/10 million from Chinese-Peruvian consortium for road in Moquegua

< b>Investigation Unit

“These Chinese [representatives] promise to pay me for life and they never do. They justify themselves by saying that they do not receive money. […] The State has given them money and they are pocketing [sic] the money. […] My debt is US$110,000″. This is the testimony of Francisco Linares, from Grupo Cima Álex E.I.R.L., who demands that the Samegua Road Consortium –made up of China Gezhouba Group Company and Corporación Imaginación S.A.C.– to cancel its debts, as requested by 45 other suppliers of that business association.

The aforementioned Chinese company was mentioned by the investigated Karelim López in her effective collaboration with the prosecution.

“Three days he has had us, a whole night without sleeping. She has told us that she is coordinating. […] The Chinese [representatives] have to pay me, they cannot defraud the almost 50 businessmen,” said Alejandrina Umiyauri, another affected supplier.

On September 25, 2020, Provías Descentralizado awarded a S/63.5 million contract to the Chinese-Peruvian consortium to build the road in the Moquegua region. Despite the fact that the work has been paralyzed since last December, the State continues to disburse resources through additional payments.

According to the Economic Transparency portal, the Samegua Road Consortium (CVS) has received more than S/47 million for the project. The Ministry of Transport and Communications (MTC) told this newspaper that more than S/45 million have been delivered. Of this amount, more than S/16.6 million correspond to the payment of six additional and S/28.6 million to the progress of the work, which is at 50.71%

–Work suspended–

In dialogue with El Comercio, representatives of the 46 subcontracted companies indicated that the lack of payment by CVS forced them to stop the work.

In this regard , the MTC and the Chinese-Peruvian consortium alleged that the work had been temporarily suspended since December 29 of last year due to the interference of two local projects that are underway: the laying of the water and sewage network, and the construction of a wall to prevent the overflow of the Tumilaca River.

However, in a report dated September 8, the comptroller pointed out that the construction of the perimeter wall should not cause work stoppages, although it could generate higher costs. Via email, the works manager responded to the comptroller's office: “The work continues to be contractually executed on another work front.”

–Modus operandi–

On December 25, 2020, three months after the consortium signed the contract with the MTC, a private framework agreement was signed for the subcontracting of almost all the work with Equipos Atenuz S.A.C., owned by Alan Núñez, for S/53.6 million, that is, S/10 million less than the total value of the project.

“For your review and conformity, I am forwarding the [three] framework contracts for the total work and two specific contracts for the leasing of machinery and the supply of materials, to be signed with the Samegua Road Consortium,” was the message forwarded by Hugo Meneses, representative of the consortium, to the businessman Núñez.

Meneses was accused of being one of the operators of the investigated Zamir Villaverde in the Puente Tarata Case.

The MTC told this newspaper that it is not aware that the work has been subcontracted. But he acknowledged that a group of companies has sent letters informing that CVS has pending debts: “Communications have been received for non-payment to different suppliers (they cannot be classified as subcontractors) by the consortium. In that sense, the entity proceeded to notify the contractor and, in response, the contractor sent a payment schedule to solve these problems.”

The complainants have in their possession two minutes of payment agreements signed on November 11, 2021 and last January 11 by the representative of the consortium, He Kanghong, and that of Atenuz S.A.C., Alan Núñez. In those documents, the first recognized the debts of the suppliers.

On the subject, Núñez commented to this newspaper that “the Chinese representatives do not want to comply with the agreements that were signed together with the suppliers. […] The debt with the 46 companies exceeds S/10 million.”

In an audio recorded by the suppliers on April 30, the consortium's legal advisor, Edgar Zúñiga, pointed out that the Chinese representative should not have signed the aforementioned agreements. The next day, after consulting with the parent company in China, the lawyer reported that the debt would have to be assumed by Atenuz S.A.C.

In a letter sent to this newspaper, the representative of the consortium maintained that the work is not paralyzed, but suspended “due to third party interference” and that an agreement has been signed with the MTC.

Regarding the suppliers' demand, he emphasized: “We must categorically reject the existence of any debt on the part of the consortium, nor my representative [the Chinese company], since in reality these debts have been acquired and not canceled by one of our suppliers. : Atenuz Equipment”.

Suppliers demand payment of S/10 million from a Chinese company

Despite the fact that the work is paralyzed since last year, the MTC reported that it will not generate penalties. (Photo: Alejandro Infantes)

The company

In 2020, China Gezhouba Group Company Peru branch six works were awarded to the MTC and the regional governments of Piura and Amazonas for S/1,552 million.

Last year, the Municipality of Lima awarded awarded the consortium a work for S/61 million.