Malware has been identified in around 20 extensions on Chrome and Edge desktop browsers. Several are linked to social media. This virus has sophisticated techniques to go unnoticed and seeks to steal personal data.
It is the antivirus company Avast that is sounding the alarm, when more than 3 million computers have been infected with this malware.
First identified in December 2020, Avast has now released the malware’s modus operandi who has more than one trick up his sleeve.
This has several techniques to go unnoticed by the person who downloaded an infected extension. He can thus:
- Stay asleep 3 days before activating
- Examine all Google searches in case you try to identify it
- Detect if the user is a web developer and remains inactive if necessary
- Hide your actions through the flow of data from Google Analytics
This last technique called CacheFlow is surprising to say the least, while Google Analytics is widely used by websites to obtain statistics on their traffic.
The malware can not only steal traffic data, but its real purpose is to steal users’ personal information and force redirects to other malicious sites.
A virus hiding in social media extensions
Microsoft and Google have removed the problematic extensions from their catalog. However, if you have downloaded one of them, it is essential to go uninstall them quickly.
How to remove malicious extensions on our browsers
Here is the list of infected extensions:
- App Phone for Instagram
- Direct Message for Instagram
- DM for Instagram
- Downloader for Instagram
- Invisible mode for Instagram Direct Message
- Instagram Download Video & Image
- Instagram App with Direct Message DM
- Pretty Kitty, The Cat Pet
- Odnoklassniki UnBlock. Works quickly
- SoundCloud Music Downloader
- Stories for Instagram
- The New York Times news
- Universal Video Downloader for FaceBook
- Upload photo to Instagram
- Video Downloader for YouTube
- Vimeo Video Downloader
- VK UnBlock Works fast
- Volume Controller
- Zoomer for Instagram and FaceBook
Our 2021 antivirus and protection suites choices
Consult our anti-fraud kit on fraudeweb.com