Secretary Blinken calls for extension of truce in Yemen

Secretary Blinken calls for extension of truce in Yemen

Secretary Blinken called for an extension of the truce in Yemen

US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken and Head of the Yemeni Presidential Steering Council Rashad Mohammed al-Alimi   Secretary of State Blinken calls for extension of ceasefire in Yemen

Truce expires October 2

U.S. Secretary of State Anthony Blinken met in New York on Monday with Yemeni Presidential Leading Council (PSC) head Rashad Mohammed al-Alimi to discuss the need to extend the UN-brokered truce, the State Department said.

For seven years in Yemen there was a war between a coalition led by Saudi Arabia and the Houthis, supported by Iran. The Houthis mainly control the north of the country, while the internationally recognized government is based in the south.

A UN-brokered truce between the coalition and the Houthis has been observed since April. The United Nations is working to extend and expand the truce between the coalition and the Houthis, which is set to expire in early October.

The State Department said the truce has brought “needed peace and hope and improved the lives of millions of Yemenis in throughout the country.”

“Secretary of State and President Al-Alimi reaffirmed their support for more steps under the truce, including opening roads in Taiz and other areas, expanding commercial flights from Sana'a airport, and securing the salaries of tens of thousands of teachers , nurses, and other government employees who have worked unpaid for years,” the State Department said.

Blinken also reaffirmed the United States’ support for PRS, the State Department said in a statement.

Last week sources told Reuters that disagreements in the Yemeni PRs are delaying the approval of reforms needed to receive bailouts in the amount of $3 billion from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.