Pierre Maudet was heard in detail on the second day of the trial before the Geneva Police Court.
He continues to deny the accusation.
The process of taking and granting benefits is expected to take one week.
At the hearing on Tuesday, the Geneva Government Council stood up and said: “I’ll face things, Madam President!” He had previously been asked by Yaël Hayat, one of his three lawyers, how he perceived this process. “With some impatience,” he replied. «In the past three years I have lived through this ordeal, for which I am largely responsible myself. I also have certain fears. “
One becomes more aware of one’s responsibility.
On a personal level, this case “forced him to get help, which I don’t take for granted.” “You don’t get out unscathed as far as the family is concerned, as well as understanding and exercising power. You become more aware of your responsibility, ”said Maudet on the second day of the trial. He also understood better where his limits and weaknesses were. “Behind every magistrate there is always a person.”
I deny this allegation.
Maudet also denied the allegations against him when asked about the luxury paid trip to Abu Dhabi in November 2015. He accepted an official invitation that allowed the canton to strengthen ties with the United Arab Emirates.
Only shortly before his departure did he find out that this luxurious stay would be paid for in full by the Crown Prince. He estimated the costs at 10,000 Swiss francs – but they were five times as high. Although he had considered giving up the trip, the Emirates were an important destination, said the 42-year-old.
“A stupid reaction”
When the media began reporting on this trip in the spring of 2016, Maudet lied. He feared for his image. “My reaction was stupid when I said that the trip was private, but the official dimension was very important. Disguising this trip as a private trip allowed me to keep it out of the public eye, ”was his justification.
The politician also admitted that he would probably not have been invited to Abu Dhabi that year had it not been for the intervention of the entrepreneur Magid Khoury, who was also charged in this case, and Antoine Vom, the mediator between the two men. Nevertheless, he did not feel obliged to them in any way. “I am someone who is difficult to influence. I’ll get the risk out of the way quickly, ”he said.
The lawsuit against Maudet for taking and granting benefits, which began on Monday, is expected to last a week.