Decision. This Friday it is defined whether Yenifer Paredes and José Medina will receive preventive detention. The prosecution affirms that there is a flight risk and notes that Hugo Espino has received threats after his sincere confession.
- “[It is essential] to seriously discuss the possibility of bringing forward elections”
/filters:format(jpeg):quality(75)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/elcomercio/6KXNQTQ7WNGCDAPLKJSVA25NP4.jpg” media=”(max-width: 360px)”/>
The prosecution stated that, like his co-investigator Yenifer Paredes, Medina (in the photo) would face a sentence of at least 23 years if he is found guilty. (Photo: Joel Alonzo)/
The prosecution supported last Wednesday before the Judiciary its request for 36-month preventive detention against the mayor of Anguía (Chota, Cajamarca), José Nenil Medina, who is attributed a key role in the criminal structure allegedly headed by President Pedro Castillo< /b>. Judge Johnny Gómez's decision on this request against him and against Yenifer Paredes will be announced this Friday.
At Wednesday's hearing, José García Juárez, prosecutor of the special team, named Medina as a 'cashier' of that organization and an 'operator' in the alleged network criminal in the Ministry of Housing. In addition, he indicated that there is evidence of Medina's participation in the “shadow cabinet case, which is closely linked to whoever holds the presidency.”
García said that a witness told the prosecution that Medina was part of “the circle closest to the president, who was in charge of coordinating appointments of people who were necessary in key sectors so that their criminal ends could have good results.” p>
He added that, “as part of the Shadow Cabinet”, he was one of those who “festinated” the Emergency Decree 102-2021, in which works destined for Anguía were inserted. According to the prosecutor, this would have been done to later direct those works.
“[Medina] was part of, together with other people […] , the Shadow Cabinet”, he remarked. The others pointed out by the prosecutor are the Chotano businessman Abel Cabrera; the owner of the house in Sarratea, Alejandro Sánchez; and Salatiel Marrufo, former official of the Ministry of Housing; among others. This group has also been referred to as Los Chiclayanos.
Payments and offers
The main fact by which it is linked to Medina to the alleged network is the concession of a sanitation project in Anguía to a consortium made up of Destcon, a company linked to Hugo Espino, an alleged figurehead.
The prosecutor cited Espino's statement, who said that he met with Medina in October 2021 to arrange the concession and that he was told that S/228 thousand would correspond to the mayor.
Subsequently, a selection committee was established chaired by Nathaly Alcántara, who later declared to the prosecution that she did not work for the [Anguía] municipality and that her signature was forged.
Espino added that the deliveries were made in two parts: S/100 thousand in January and S/100 thousand in March. In addition, he reported that in July Medina and other people met to force Alcántara to sign documents as president of the committee.
Alcántara herself declared the August 18 -according to the prosecutor's office- that the mayor asked him to sign the act of good pro of the work. “He began to offer me a job, he began to offer me 20 thousand, 40 thousand, even 50 thousand,” she said.
He added that, given his refusal, Medina yelled at him. “I began to feel uncomfortable because they had already started with threats, that I was going to regret not having signed,” she said.
Medina's lawyer, Martín Silva, rejected all of the prosecutor's accusations. Thus, he questioned Espino's testimony and said that he would have changed his version before the prosecution for fear that they would ask for preventive detention. He also argued that Alcántara's testimony was invalid because it was made without the defendant's defense being present.
The alleged offer to Alcántara was also cited by the prosecution to affirm that there is a risk that Medina will obstruct the investigations, together with his alleged closeness to Castillo and the possibility that he will escape , as people around the president have done.
In addition, the prosecutor said that after Hugo Espino submitted to the sincere confession, the alleged network “communicates with him and pressures him, threatens him” . “They have tried to communicate with a person who, bravely, has submitted to a sincere confession and has revealed the illicit events in which the other investigated have participated,” he said.
At another point, lawyer Silva stated that the prosecution's case has “a political profile.” Given this, the prosecutor rejected “categorically and forcefully that this is a political or media persecution against someone.”
At the end of the hearing, Medina took the floor and rejected the label of “cashier” and “operator” of a criminal network. He affirmed that his visits to the Palace and to ministries were in his capacity as mayor, and that the works of the emergency decree had been approved by previous governments. Medina also denied that he is going to escape and affirmed that he will submit to the prosecution's investigations, but asked that his presumption of innocence be respected.
Espino also stated, according to what was reported by the prosecutor, that he visited Sarratea's house and that he met Medina there.
The lawyer de Medina stated that his client would have an appearance with restrictions instead of a prison.
A request for an exit impediment is still pending from the country to Lilia Paredes and Hugo Espino for this same case.
In his video column this Tuesday, Fernando Vivas analyzes the situation of Yenifer Paredes, who, during the raid on her house in Cajamarca, was found 14 seals of presidents and lieutenant governors of various communities and of a justice of the peace of Anguía.