Fri. Feb 23rd, 2024

Prince Harry condemns tabloïd for hacking

Open in full screen mode

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, leaves the Rolls building at the High Court in London, June 7, 2023.

Agence France-Presse

Speech synthesis, based on artificial intelligence, makes it possible to generate spoken text from written text.

Prince Harry obtained the conviction on Friday from the publisher of the British tabloid Daily Mirrorfor articles resulting from the hacking of telephone messages, his first major victory in the war he has waged against the tabloid press.

By the voice of his lawyer David Sherborne, the youngest son of King Charles III, hailed a great day for the truth, and a judgment that gives him reason and confidence. The mission continues, he added.

The judgment handed down on Friday is the first in a series of legal proceedings brought against the British press by the 39-year-old prince, who personally came to court to testify in this case.

He orders the publishing company of the MirrorMGN to pay him 140,600 pounds sterling (more than CA$238,000) in damages.

< p class="StyledBodyHtmlParagraph-sc-48221190-4 hnvfyV">Judge Timothy Fancourt found that 15 of the 33 disputed articles retained in the proceedings – published between 1996 and 2009 – were the result of hacking into the voicemail boxes of the Duke of Sussex or his entourage as well as other illicit processes.LoadingFamily reunification: Ottawa puts pressure, but Minister Fréchette says no

ELSEWHERE ON INFO: Family reunification: Ottawa puts pressure, but Minister Fréchette says no

He estimated that the messaging of Prince Harry's cell phone had been hacked in a modest measurement.

Open in full screen mode

Princes Harry and William at a memorial event in honor of their mother Diana, in London, July 2021.

The magistrate ruled that the group's titles had massively hacked into celebrity voicemail boxes between 2006 and 2011, including while a public inquiry into the behavior of the British press was taking place.

During the trial, Prince Harry, at odds with the royal family, testified for eight hours spread over two hearing days in June.

It was the first appearance of a member of the royal family in the dock since that of the future Edward VII in 1891 for a libel trial.

Phone hacking was being practiced on an industrial scale by at least three newspapers at the time, and there is no doubt about it.

A quote from Prince Harry on June 7, on the second day of his testimony< /blockquote>

Prince Harry feels a tenacious resentment towards the tabloid press, which he holds responsible for the death of his mother Diana, pursued by paparazzi in Paris in 1997.

He also accuses him of what he describes as harassment against his wife Meghan and of having responsibility for the bad relations he has with his family.

< p class="StyledBodyHtmlParagraph-sc-48221190-4 hnvfyV">Harry sued the publisher of the Daily Mirror and its Sunday and celebrity editions for hacking into voicemail boxes and illegally collecting x27;information, in particular by using private detectives.

Open in full screen mode

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle during the famous interview with Oprah Winfrey, in March 2021.

The group rejected the vast majority of the accusations, contesting in particular any hacking of messaging systems.

But he had admitted to some illicit processes – for five of the 33 articles – including the use of a private detective regarding a nightclub outing in 2004, and apologized.

MGN welcomed Friday's ruling, which gives it the clarity it needs to move forward on events that took place years ago.

Where mistakes have been made, we apologize unreservedly and take full responsibility and pay appropriate compensation.

A quote from A spokesperson for MGN, publisher of the Mirror

The judge also found that there was no doubt that the editors-in-chief of the group's titles knew that journalists were engaging in hacking practices, but that they had never informed them of it. the board of directors or chief executive.

The influential former editor of the Daily Mirror between 1995 and 2004, Piers Morgan defended himself to the press on Friday that he had never hacked a phone or asked anyone else to do so.

In the range of proceedings taken by Prince Harry against the press, four days ago he was ordered to pay 48,000 pounds sterling ( more than $81,000 CAD) after losing a libel case against theMail on Sunday, for an article relating to his police protection when he visited the United Kingdom.

By admin

Related Post