Illustrative photo from open sources
In Ukraine people's deputies together with employees of the Main Department of Military Justice of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine will develop a draft law on the military police. This was reported by the department's press service. Also, a working group is working on the draft law in the Verkhovna Rada Committee on Law Enforcement. Its task is to — create an optimal model of future military justice, of which the military police will be a part.
The military police should become a military formation with law enforcement functions, which will be part of the system of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine. The body will be formed on the basis of the Military Service of Law and Order in the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
A separate formation is being created in order to maintain military discipline among servicemen of the Armed Forces, the Ministry of Defense, DSST.
It will be joined by separate powers related to operational investigative activities and pre-trial investigation of war crimes in combat zones.
Among the main tasks:
- law enforcement activities to prevent, detect, stop war crimes, in accordance with the norms of the Criminal Procedure Code of Ukraine and military statutes;
- operational and investigative activities;
- special prevention in the Armed Forces, DSST;
- ensuring law and order, military discipline in Armed Forces, DSST;
- protection of the rights of military personnel;
- protection of state property;
- execution of punishments.
The developers of the draft law plan achieve compatibility of the military police with the structures of NATO member states. The document is currently at the approval stage.
Prepared by: Serhii Daga