Lula pointed to the intelligence services for not preventing the Bolsonaristas' assault in Brasilia: “No one warned me”
The president believes there was collusion by “persons from the armed forces” the day thousands of Bolsonaro supporters invaded and looted the Congress building, the presidential palace and the Federal Supreme Court
Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva attends a ministerial meeting at the Planalto Palace in Brasilia, Brazil. January 6, 2023. REUTERS/Adriano Machado
Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva said on Wednesday that his intelligence services had made mistakes on January 8, January, when supporters of far-right former president Jair Bolsonaro stormed public buildings in Brasilia.
The recent comments come at a time of increasing criticism by Lula of the military for failing to act against Bolsonaro supporters when they decided to storm and destroy executive, judicial and executive branch buildings.
“We made an elementary mistake: my intelligence did not exist (that day)”, Lula told the television channel GloboNews in an interview. “We have Army intelligence, Air Force intelligence, ABIN (Brazilian Intelligence Agency), none of them warned me.”
Lula had previously said he suspected that there was collusion by “people from the armed forces” on the day of the riots, during which thousands of Bolsonaro supporters invaded and looted the Congress building, the presidential palace, and the Federal Supreme Court.
FILE PHOTO: Supporters of former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro demonstrate against President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva as security forces operate in front of Brazil's National Congress in Brasilia, Brazil, January 8, 2023. REUTERS/Adriano Machado/Photo de archivo/Archive photo
“I had the impression that it was the beginning of a coup”, Lula said about the excesses.
The president stressed that he would like to maintain civil relations with the Brazilian armed forces, but noted that they should not become politicized. He is scheduled to meet with Army, Navy and Air Force commanders later this week.
“I don't want to have problems with the forces, nor they with me. But those who want to get into politics should take off their uniform, resign from office and then go into politics,” Lula said.
Earlier this week, the president dismissed more than 50 soldiers guarding the presidential residence and the office of the National Security adviser, expressing their distrust after the violent riots in Brasilia.
FILE PHOTO: Army officers stand guard outside the Planalto Palace, in Brasilia, Brazil, January 11, 2023. REUTERS/Amanda Perobelli/File photo
The defendants< /h2>
Brazil's attorney general's office has filed its first charges against some of the thousands of people authorities say stormed government buildings to try to overturn former president Jair Bolsonaro's election defeat October.
receive preventive detention and 40 million reais (7.7 million dollars) of their assets are frozen to help pay for the damages.
The accusations are of association criminal armada, violent attempt to subvert the democratic rule of law, stage a coup and damage public property, the attorney general's office said in a written statement Monday night. Their identities have not been released.
“Those involved in the riots attempted, through violence and serious threats, to abolish the democratic rule of law, preventing or restricting the exercise of constitutional powers,” according to an excerpt from the indictment included in a statement. “The ultimate goal of the attack…was the installation of an alternative governmental regime.”
Supporters of former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, arrested after breaking into public buildings, are transported to a federal prison from the Police Academy in Brasilia, January 11, 2023. (AP Photo/Gustavo Moreno)
They were not charged with terrorism because under Brazilian law, such a charge must include xenophobia or prejudice based on race, ethnicity or religion.
The attorney general's office The general sent the accusations to the Supreme Federal Court after the president of the Senate, Rodrigo Pacheco, presented a list of people accused of assaulting Congress. More people are expected to be charged.
(With information from Reuters and AP)