Authorities have established a security perimeter near the Bir-Hakeim bridge.
He had already been sentenced to four years in prison in 2016 for wanting to take violent action, said French Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin, who held a press briefing on site.
< p class="StyledBodyHtmlParagraph-sc-48221190-4 hnvfyV">The deceased victim is a German tourist, according to the Minister of the Interior. The two injured are a Frenchman, aged around sixty, and a foreign tourist, whose nationality was not specified, who was injured with a hammer, he said. specified.
Chad Allan, one of the founders of the Guess Who group, died on Tuesday
ELSEWHERE ON NEWS: Chad Allan, one of the founders of the Guess Who group, died on Tuesday
French President Emmanuel Macron sent his condolences to the German's loved ones killed in the attack.
I send all my condolences to the family and loved ones of the German national who died this evening during the terrorist attack in Paris and think with emotion of the people currently injured and in care, Mr. Macron wrote on X
Start of Twitter widget. Skip widget ?End of Twitter widget. Return to the top of the widget?
We will not give in to terrorism, reacted the French Prime Minister, Élisabeth Borne.
My thoughts are with the victim, the injured and their loved ones. I salute the courage and professionalism of our law enforcement and our mobilized emergency services, wrote the head of the French government on the X network.
Joseph S., 37, a supermarket manager, witnessed the scene from a bar. He heard screams and people shouting Help, help! and running left and right. He described a man with a hammer in his hand attacking a man who fell. Still according to this witness, in five or ten minutes, the police arrived.
Paris is in mourning after this terrible attack, tweeted Clément Beaune, the French Minister of Transport, on network Thank you to our security and rescue forces for their rapid and decisive intervention, he added.
French justice has opened an investigation into assassination and attempted 'assassination.
This attack comes less than two months after that in Arras, in the north of France, which cost the life of a teacher in mid-October and which led to the raising of the Vigipirate security plan to the maximum Emergency Attack level.
In October, a man armed with a knife killed a teacher and injured three people in the Gambetta middle and high school , in Arras, in the north of France.
Saturday's modus operandi is reminiscent of previous attacks in the French capital.
In May 2018, a Franco-Russian born in Chechnya killed a passerby with a kitchen knife after a fierce struggle. The assailant attacked around ten people and injured four before being shot dead by the police. The attack was claimed by the Islamic State (IS) group.
In February 2017, an Egyptian attacked soldiers of Operation Sentinel on guard at the Carrousel du Louvre, very close to the Louvre Museum, in Paris, shouting Allah akbar!. In June 2021, in Paris, he was sentenced to 30 years in prison.
A few months later, in October 2017, in Marseille, a man had been shot dead after attacking passers-by with a knife, killing two people, two cousins aged 20 and 21, one of whom was studying in Lyon. The attack was claimed by Daesh.