Kevin Spacey to face new charges of sexual assault against three men in the UK

Spread the love

The actor was recently exonerated in New York following allegations of sexual assault in the 1980s by whistleblower Anthony Rapp

< i class="i-share-btn twitter">

Kevin Spacey will face new charges of sexual assault against three men in the United Kingdom

Kevin Spacey, winner of two Oscars, for “Beauty American” (1999) and “Usual Suspects” (1995), is already being prosecuted by the British courts for four alleged assaults on three men between March 2005 and April 2013, when he was director of the famous Old Vic theater in London. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz Alvarez/File Photo

American actor Kevin Spacey, who is being prosecuted by the British justice system for allegedly sexually assaulting three men, will face new charges for the same reason, the prosecution announced Wednesday.

CPS officials have “authorized additional criminal charges against Kevin Spacey, 63, for several sexual assaults on a man between 2001 and 2004,” the statement said. service in charge of the most sensitive causes in the United Kingdom.

The actor is also accused of having forced that person to “participate in a non-consensual sexual relationship,” adds the CPS.

Spacey, winner of two Oscars, for “American Beauty”

During a preliminary hearing in July, he pleaded not guilty to all charges.The trial is due to take place in June 2023.

Kevin Spacey will face new charges of sexual assault on three men in the UK

American actor Kevin Spacey, center, leaves the Daniel Patrick Moynihan Court on Thursday, Oct. 20, 2022, in New York. A jury sided with Kevin Spacey in concluding that he did not sexually assault 14-year-old Anthony Rapp when both were relatively unknown actors on Broadway in the 1980s. (AP Photo/Andres Kudacki)

Spacey had been the subject of several complaints in the United States for sexual harassment and assault in 2017.

Spacey was initially accused in the state of Massachusetts of having put his hands on the sex of an 18-year-old boy in a bar, after getting him drunk, in July 2016. These charges were dropped in 2019.

ACQUITED IN OCTOBER

A New York jury dismissed on October 20 the accusations against the actor of sexual assault in the 1980s, by whistleblower Anthony Rapp, after a party at the Spacey Manhattan apartment, when they were both unknown actors on Broadway.

The complainant requested economic compensation of 40 million dollars for “emotional anguish”. However, the jury concluded in record time that the actor did not show evidence that the two-time Oscar winner had touched “his sexual or intimate parts”, according to what emerged from the document that judge Lewis Kaplan< /b>filed to close the case. Likewise, he alluded to the prescription of said charges and explained that they are not contemplated by the New York Child Protection Law of 2019.

Kevin Spacey se will face new charges of sexual assault against three men in the UK

Courtroom deputy Andy Mohan reads the jury's verdict during the Anthony Rapp v. Spacey civil sexual assault case in this courtroom sketch in New York, U.S., October 20, 2022. REUTERS/Jane Rosenberg

The trial arose out of the #MeToo movement, an initiative that encouraged women to speak out against sexual abuse committed by famous and powerful people. It consisted of several days of allegations during three weeks in which both actors testified and gave their version of the events that occurred more than 30 years ago. Jennifer Keller, Spacey's lawyer, assured the jury that Rapp fabricated the meeting in the apartment and, therefore, the complaint should be dismissed. For his part, Richard Steigman, Rapp's lawyer, pointed out the arguments provided by the defense and said that they “lack credibility.” Also, he added to his client's position that “sometimes the simple truth is best. The simple truth is this that happened.”

The wave of accusations that destroyed his successful career corresponded with the rise of the #MeToo movement, which was born in 2017 from the case of the all-powerful producer American film Harvey Weinstein.

As a consequence, Spacey was fired from the Netflix series “House of Cards”, where he played the title character, and was left out of a Ridley Scott film , “All the money in the world”, in which he was replaced by Canadian actor Christopher Plummer.

(with information from AFP)

Continue Reading: