Israel under fire after attack on Gaza

Israel under fire after attack on Gaza

Israel under fire after the attack on the Gaza Strip

Rockets fired at Israel, August 5, 2022.   Israel under fire after strike on the Gaza Strip

The Israeli army launched a strike on Friday on the Armal district in Gaza. According to the Israeli command, one of the commanders of the Islamic Jihad terrorist group was killed. In total, at least 10 people died as a result of the shelling, more than 40 were injured.

According to the Ministry of Health of the Gaza Strip, among the dead are civilians, including a child. The exact number of injured and dead is still unknown. Islamic Jihad responds by threatening Israel with shelling.

The target of Operation Sunrise by the Israeli army was Taysir al-Jabari, the commander of the northern division of Islamic Jihad. He coordinated Islamic Jihad's connection with the Hamas group, whose representatives exercise most of the functions of power in the Gaza Strip. Al-Jabari was also involved in numerous terrorist attacks and rocket attacks on Israeli territory.

The aggravation of Arab-Israeli contradictions began on Monday, when Bassam al-Saadi, one of the leaders of the Islamic Jihad, was arrested in the West Bank. During his arrest, a fight arose between the Palestinians and the Israeli police, and an Arab teenager died. Islamic Jihad has announced that it will not leave the arrest of its leader unanswered. In the southern and central regions of Israel, a regime of increased terrorist threat was declared, checkpoints to the Gaza Strip were closed, and some roads were blocked. The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) have been reporting terrorist attacks from the Gaza Strip.

In a joint statement, Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid and Defense Minister Benny Gantz stressed that Israel “will not allow terrorist organizations to dictate their agenda.” They warned that the Israel Defense Forces were ready to fight back against Islamic Jihad in order to rid the Israelis of the threat.

The head of the Islamic Jihad, Ziyad al-Nahala, said on Friday that his group intends to take revenge on Israel. “After this air attack, there will be no truce – there will be a fight,” al-Nahala said. He did not rule out the bombing of Tel Aviv. Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhum also announced his intention to “resist with all possible military forces.”

On Friday evening, a high alert regime was declared in the southern regions of Israel, close to the borders of the Gaza Strip. Residents are advised not to gather more than 10 people and stay close to bomb shelters. Public establishments not equipped with bomb shelters are closed. Public events have been cancelled. The Israeli Defense Minister announced the call for military service of 25,000 reservists.

At about 9 pm on Friday, according to The Jerusalem Post, rocket attacks on Israel began from the Gaza Strip. The cities of the southern and central parts of the country – Ashdod, Holon, Bat Yam and other settlements – were under attack. No casualties have been reported yet. The missiles are intercepted by the Israeli Iron Dome air defense system.

After the shelling began, the Israeli army resumed attacks on military installations in the Gaza Strip.