In the United States, a man was burned to death in a traffic accident. He was driving a Tesla Model S and was unable to get out of the car after the fire.
Image via: wikimedia.org
According to available information, a 48-year-old US resident died in South Carolina. He crashed into a palm tree, after which his car began to burn. This is due to a problem with the lithium-ion battery. The salon began to quickly fill with smoke, and then tongues of flame began to penetrate into it. Eyewitnesses tried to help the man, but could not save him, because they were unable to open the door of the vehicle. Tesla Model S has a special design of door handles – they are recessed into the doors, and the locks can only be opened using electronic control. As a result, the person suffocated, and before that he received numerous burns.
The relatives of the deceased sued the manufacturer, believing that the death of a loved one was due to the design features of the electric car. In the event of a malfunction or accident, the driver and passengers can become hostages of the car and, under certain conditions, find themselves in a death trap.