Fri. Mar 1st, 2024

The Toronto man who had schizophrenia died after being held face down on his stomach and beaten by six guards at Lindsay Prison in 2016.

Highlights from the investigation into the death of Soleiman Faqiri.

Open full screen

Soleiman Faqiri, 30, who suffered from schizophrenia, died after being beaten by six guards at the prison by Lindsay in 2016. (Archive photo)

  • Jean-Philippe Nadeau (View profile)Jean-Philippe Nadeau

Speech synthesis, based on artificial intelligence, makes it possible to generate spoken text from written text.

The coroner's jury continues its deliberations at the inquiry into the death of Soleiman Faqiri after 15 days of hearings which allowed us to learn a little more about the death of the 30-year-old Torontonian. An autopsy determined he died from his injuries after being punched in the head, pepper-sprayed and forcefully held on the ground at Lindsay Prison in 2016. p>

All parties involved in this investigation recognize that Soleiman Faqiri should not have been sent to detention on the day of his arrest on December 4, 2016 for an alleged assault stabbing in Durham Region.

Their observation is the same: the Central East Ontario Correctional Center (CCEC) was unable to care for individuals who are struggling with serious mental health problems due to a lack of resources , training, communication and clear guidelines on the use of force.

Here is what was revealed during the conference. investigation.

Soleiman Faqiri, who was schizophrenic, stopped taking his medication when he was admitted to prison. Prison staff were nevertheless aware of his mental health problems thanks to information from his family.

LoadingThe red flags of Pierre Poilievre's housing “documentary”

ELSE ON INFO: The red flags of the “documentary” on Pierre Poilievre's housing

The investigation revealed that he had been kept in detention for 11 days without seeing the prison psychiatrist, because the doctor in question was on vacation and his deputy had resigned.

< source srcset=",w_700/v1/ici-info/16x9/famille-faqiri.png" media="(min-width: 0px) and (max-width: 1023px)">Open in full screen mode

Soleiman Faqiri's family: (from left to right) father Ghulam Faqiri and one of his sons Roustam, mother Pelatin Faqiri, and the other two sons, Yusuf and Sam. (Archive photo)

The institution's attending physician had refused to have him hospitalized, because he was counting on a court to submit Soleiman to a psychiatric evaluation in the part of his bail hearing.

He was unaware of the directive from the Ontario Ministry of the Solicitor General to send prisoners in crisis to hospital anyway.

Soleiman Faqiri was placed in solitary confinement upon his arrival because of his state of mental health. He screamed, he hit the walls and he soiled his cell with his feces.

The staff had underestimated his condition and the prison management had refused to allow Soleiman Faqiri to meet a member of his family.

The regional direction of the CCCE , in Kingston, had refused to allow Soleiman to be moved, four days before his death, to another wing of the institution so that his cell could be cleaned, contrary to a request from staff that weekend. /p>Open in full screen mode

The investigation revealed that the prison of Lindsay did not provide any briefings to staff following Soleiman Faqiri's death. (Archive photo)

Correctional officers had warned their superiors that they would refuse to work if no action was taken to help Soleiman Faqiri, because the smell coming from his cell was intolerable.

The wings of the institution reserved for the confinement of prisoners were filled to capacity, so that Soleiman could not be transferred to a cell near the infirmary and showers to facilitate the work of the agents.

Soleiman Faqiri's condition quickly deteriorated and he became increasingly unstable and violent. The fact that he was in solitary confinement did nothing to alleviate the symptoms of his schizophrenia.

Open in full screen mode

Surveillance video shows a group of officers moving Soleiman Faqiri in a wheelchair from his cell to an isolation unit the day of his death. (File photo)

The institution's attending physician administered low-dose antipsychotic medication orally before resorting to injections.

On the day of his death, December 15, 2016, Soleiman Faqiri was taken to the showers, where he became agitated and began splashing water guards.

Upon his return to the cell, Soleiman Faqiri spat on the 5 agents who escorted him, causing a spiral of violence which would very quickly lead to his death.

Soleiman was first sprayed with an irritant pepper, because the guards were afraid he would bite them. He had restraints on his wrists and ankles.

A code blue, which requires the urgent intervention of additional guards, was decreed when Soleiman Faqiri became uncontrollable.

Subscribe to the HERE newsletter ;Ontario.

Form to subscribe to the Ontario newsletter.Subscribe

The prison management also refused to bring in the rapid crisis intervention team despite requests from correctional officers to do so.

The video of the interrogation of a cell neighbor of Soleiman Faqiri at the police in 2019 gives a completely different story about the behavior of the agents with the victim.

John Thibeault claims that the guards brutally beat Soleiman like pit bulls. Soleiman Faqiri was not resisting them, but rather trying to escape from them, contrary to what some agents had said.

The hearings also showed that management, infirmary and guards at Lindsay prison were in conflict and did not agree on procedures.

The chronic lack of prison and medical staff, absenteeism, employee turnover and toxic labor relations represented major problems.

Relations between the prison and Ross Memorial Hospital were also dysfunctional and the investigation showed that it is not uncommon for a community hospital to return a prisoner to custody upon arrival at the emergency room.

< source srcset=",w_700/v1/ici-info/16x9/centre-detention-ottawa-carleton-prison-barbele.jpeg" media="(min-width: 0px) and (max-width: 1023px)">Open in full screen mode

Lindsay Jail is only 15 minutes from Ross Memorial Hospital and an hour from the Hospital Ontario Shores psychiatric hospital in Whitby. (File photo)

Prison reports on Soleiman Faqiri were poorly completed, meaning his medical assessment was not done properly. As a result, staff knew little about him.

The Ministry of the Solicitor General confirmed that it expected the #x27;time when Soleiman Faqiri was hospitalized as required by protocol.

Guardians had however indicated that their managers did not believe that he should be sent to the hospital.

The instructions on the use of force were not followed to the letter the day Soleiman died, because it was necessary to first control him, calm him down before untying him. p>Open in full screen mode

The coroner's jury will have to decide whether the death of Soleiman Faqiri at the Central East Correctional Center was a homicide, a suicide, an accidental death, natural or indeterminate.

The coroner's jury further heard that it was common practice to slap the back of the head of a prisoner in crisis as a distraction to regain control over him.

Soleiman Faqiri remained handcuffed on his stomach in his cell, an anti-spit mask over his mouth and the pepper had not been wiped off of his face contrary to instructions.

The investigation finally demonstrated that the training of correctional officers in matters of mental health was almost non-existent and their training on the use of force, inappropriate.

  • Jean-Philippe Nadeau (View profile)Jean-Philippe NadeauFollow

By admin

Related Post