Wed. Apr 17th, 2024

Arrest muscular and mistaken identity, an Ottawa man in search of justice

Open in full screen mode

Kane Niyondagara claims he was handcuffed, searched and put in a police car. The police admitted mistaken identity.

  • Charles Lalande (View profile)Charles Lalande

Voice synthesis, based on artificial intelligence, makes it possible to generate spoken text from written text.

A young Ottawa man filed a complaint with the Office of the Independent Police Review Director after being arrested on February 16 due to mistaken identity. Ottawa police admitted mistaken identity.

Originally from Burundi, an East African country, Kane Niyondagara was leaving a Starbucks on Innes Road in the morning when he heard sirens.

He says he turned around and saw police officers with guns pointed at him. They ordered him to raise his hands. He claims to have obeyed.

Get on your knees, a policewoman allegedly told him.

But Kane Niyondagara, a 27-year-old young man with no criminal record, had done nothing wrong. So he lowered his hands and shrugged his shoulders, pretending to ask why?. He looked at the sidewalk at his feet. He says he was afraid of being brutally arrested on the ground against the cement.

LoadingLiberals “didn’t sell carbon pricing well,” says ex-minister

ELSEWHERE ON INFO: Liberals “didn’t sell carbon pricing well,” says ex-ministerLoadingLiberals “didn’t sell carbon pricing well,” says ex-minister

ELSELSE ON INFO: The Liberals “did not sell carbon pricing well,” says a former minister

They didn't They kept screaming […] As I was really scared, I didn't move. I just waited, he explained.

He waited until a police officer got too close. He then started to run.

When asked why did he run away?, the main interested party adheres to his parents' theory , who suggested it may have come from his upbringing in Burundi, a country ruled by an oppressive regime.

In our country, when we see a police officer or a soldier, the first reaction is to flee. It's better to run or hide to avoid getting shot, commented his mother, Ernestine.

Open in full screen mode

Beyond the physical injuries, the events also caused him emotional injuries.

The Ottawa Police Service (OPS) has given very few details about the events, or what followed, other than that it was a case of mistaken identity . The 27-year-old man was ultimately released unconditionally following a foot chase.

He alleges he was shocked with a stun gun, slammed to the ground, punched in the face and handcuffed before the police realized their mistake. Part of the scene was filmed by a witness, who forwarded the video to CBC.

These events came less than a month after a report found that Ottawa police used disproportionate force against Black and Middle Eastern people in 2022.

Kane Niyondagara also believes that the color of his skin could have played an important role in the way the police treated him that day. He tells his story today because he wants justice to be done.

During his race, he remembers being stopped by police officers who threatened him, he says, with using their electric shock gun if he did not stop. I replied: ''why? Whytaserme? What did I do?'' and no one told me anything, he protests.

He remembers turning around and feeling a sharp pain in his the back. He nevertheless had the strength to continue his race towards his house.

Zak Boudreau, who lives nearby, says he saw what happened next.

I heard sirens, I looked out the window and saw a police car pull up. There was a man walking with his hands in the air [and] the police tackled him to the ground, said Mr. Boudreau.

He then had the reflex to take his phone and film the scene.

In the twenty-second video, we can see three police officers on top of a man. We see one of them push his knee into the man’s back. He starts again at least twice. A fourth police officer then enters the frame of the video and forces the man to bury his face in the snow.

Kane Niyondagara said he had difficulty breathing with so many knees pressed into his back. He adds that the snow only made things worse, as his face was buried in the frozen ground.

Mr. Niyondagara claims he was shocked further with a taser while on the ground, although Boudreau's brief video does not show this.

The police did not want to confirm or deny to our CBC colleagues that their officers had used conducted energy weapons during the pursuit and arrest.

However, in a report from Ottawa paramedics obtained by CBC, paramedics confirmed some of these details.

The police officer chased the patient and ended up tasering him in the back, but the probes did not enter properly, we read in the report, which does not specify where the weapon was used or how many times it was used.

The same report also confirms much of Mr. Boudreau's description and events in his video. The witness said he saw the victim being pushed to the ground, although the report states that he fell on his back. For his part, Mr. Niyondagara explains that he threw himself on the ground to protect himself when a police officer jumped on him.

The report also states that he was struck in the head by an officer and [was] held down by other officers and kneed on the right side of his body.

Paramedics performed a physical examination and found that the patient had a small puncture wound consistent with an electronic probe device.

MM. Boudreau and Niyondagara have different estimates of how long he was stuck there, but both agree it lasted several minutes.

The 27-year-old man believes that he was not resisting and that he was not moving much when he was on the ground. I was just waiting to be handcuffed, he said.

The witness mentioned that the man on the ground did not seem to struggle at all, but [the police] continued to hit him and shout at him.

The Ottawa Police Service would not respond to CBC's detailed questions about the chase and the actions of the responding officers, other than a short written statement.

The Ottawa Police Service received a call for service regarding a wanted person who had been seen in the area. When the police arrived on scene, the person fled and a chase began, the OPS first wrote.

We will not be commenting further on the incident to protect the privacy of the individual, but we can confirm that this is a case of mistaken identity. The person was questioned and released unconditionally.

The statement added that the call was reviewed by the chain of command and that police plan to contact the person involved to discuss police intervention and possible concerns.

Kane Niyondagara claims he was handcuffed, searched and put in a police car. He adds that the agent, who had his identity papers in his possession at the time, asked him if he knew a person by the name of Gibriil.

OPS is seeking Gibriil Bakal, 29, for first degree murder in connection with a shooting that occurred in Ottawa on January 29. Jama Roble, 33, succumbed to his injuries. A 28-year-old suspect has already been arrested.

Police confirmed last week that Gibriil Bakal was still at large and wanted.

According to Mr. Niyondagara, after a discussion about Gibriil's name, the officer left the patrol car and returned quickly to explain that there was a misunderstanding. He says the agent explained to him that the person they were looking for looked a lot like him and that he was a criminal.

A communications manager at Starbucks Coffee Canada, Leanna Rizzi, confirmed that police went to their branch on Innes Road on February 13, three days before the events, in connection with an investigation.

< p class="StyledBodyHtmlParagraph-sc-48221190-4 hnvfyV">As always, we are doing our best to cooperate with local authorities, Ms. Rizzi wrote in an email to CBC.

But Leanna Rizzi did not respond to questions about what led police to show up at the scene three days later, just after Mr. Niyondagara left the cafe.

Police would not confirm whether Gibriil Bakal was the subject of the suspicious person call for service that morning.

Whatever the full explanation, Kane Niyondagara was relieved to learn it was a mistake.

Open in full screen mode

“As always, we are doing our best to cooperate with local authorities,” wrote a communications manager at Starbucks Coffee Canada.

After the When paramedics arrived, police asked Kane Niyondagara if he needed medical attention. I said no, that I was fine. I just wanted to go home and wash up, he said.

However, he eventually agreed and was allegedly taken into the ambulance, still handcuffed, making it difficult for the paramedics to perform a physical examination.

Kane Niyondagara estimates he remained handcuffed for at least twenty minutes. For most of this period, he claims the officers had his identification documents and recognized the mistaken identity.

He states that the police only removed the handcuffs when he had to sign a document confirming that he had received medical treatment.

The OPS would not confirm the length of time Mr. Niyondagara was handcuffed after ascertaining and validating his true identity. The paramedics' report does not address this issue.

Mr. Niyondagara refused to be taken to hospital and was eventually taken home. A police officer reportedly apologized. According to his recollection, it was not one of the four agents who was with him on the ground.

I had the impression that my lungs were holed. I was coughing really a lot. I felt pain all over the side of my face because the punch was so hard. It took several days for him to heal, explains Kane Niyondagara.

For several days, he says he had difficulty opening his jaw to eat.

The events also caused him emotional injuries. He claims not to have felt respected. He adds that he was even embarrassed by the situation and didn't want to talk about it.

He chose to contact the Office of the Independent Police Review Director in hopes of bringing some justice after this ordeal, also hoping that it would not happen again.

He would also like the police officer who hit him to apologize to him. He should deal with the situation, he concluded.

With information from Arthur White-Crummey, fromCBCNews

  • Charles Lalande (View profile)Charles LalandeFollow

By admin

Related Post