The first signs of poisoning can appear fairly quickly.
Psychology / Wellness section editor
Food poisoning is not uncommon. Anything can lead to this: improper storage of food, expired shelf life, spoiled food, improper combination of various foods, or unwashed hands.
Food poisoning occurs when poison enters the body with food, says Dr. Yevgeny Komarovsky. On his website, he also named the main causes of poisoning and cases when you need to urgently seek medical help.
The main causes of food poisoning
- infections – protozoa, bacteria, viruses;
- toxins contained in animals or plants, poisonous mushrooms, knowingly inedible or improperly cooked animal meat (fish, shellfish), etc.;
- poisons with which foods are processed or contained in foods: pesticides, etc.
What should be the first aid for poisoning
The first symptoms of food poisoning are, as a rule, signs of damage to the gastrointestinal tract: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain.
The first symptoms of food poisoning in most cases occur within 48 hours after eating unsuitable foods
When to Seek Medical Help
It is necessary to urgently seek medical help if symptoms of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain:
- Have a child under 3 years old
- combined with an increase in body temperature;
- persist for more than 2 days;
- are available for several family members.
Symptoms of food poisoning
The first signs of poisoning can appear rather quickly – after half an hour you may feel unwell. But you can feel the effect of poisoning in 4 hours, or in a day – there are already many factors.
The main symptoms of poisoning:
- Weakness, general malaise
- Temperature increase
- Painful abdominal cramps
- Increased heart rate
- Profuse salivation
The above symptoms are signs of severe intoxication of the body, so you need to urgently seek medical help.
First aid for food poisoning
Flush the stomach. If there is no vomiting, it must be induced using a soda solution (1 tablespoon of soda for 1.5 – 2 liters of warm boiled water). You need to drink it and induce vomiting by pressing your fingers on the root of the tongue. This will help remove toxic substances from the body.
Take sorbents – drugs that absorb toxins, preventing them from being absorbed into the bloodstream. The most famous sorbent is activated carbon.
Diet. On the first day of poisoning, food should be completely abandoned. Then you can eat crackers, liquid mashed potatoes and oatmeal cooked in water.
Drink plenty of fluids. During vomiting and diarrhea, the body loses a lot of fluid, so it needs to be replenished. In case of poisoning, you need to drink 2-3 liters of boiled water per day.
What not to do in case of poisoning
What absolutely can not be done in case of poisoning:
- Do not put a heating pad in your abdomen
- It is forbidden to give an enema for diarrhea
- Drink milk or soda
- With diarrhea, drink fixing drugs
- Prevention of food poisoning
- Be sure to wash your hands before eating
- Look at the shelf life of the products
- Keep track of food storage conditions
- Observe cooking technology
- Don't eat in questionable establishments
- Don't drink tap water.
What little things will protect you from poisoning – watch the video:
Subscribe to our telegram
Only the most important and interesting
Subscribe Read Segodnya.ua in Google News