No matter how good the condition of the victim is in your opinion, he must be taken to the hospital
Psychology / Wellness section editor
The beach season is in full swing, so all safety precautions on the water must be followed as much as possible. But, if suddenly an unforeseen situation happened and you witnessed drowning, it is important to know how to provide first aid correctly. Dr. Evgeny Komarovsky told about this on his website.
“The vast majority of recommendations for emergency care as a key piece of advice include the requirement that the rescuer must first of all ensure his own safety. From this position, rescuing a drowning person is one of the most risky actions for someone trying to be a rescuer,” says the doctor.
How to provide first aid for drowning
According to him, a person who is not physically prepared and does not possess special skills for rescue on water can only help in shallow water, in a children's pool, in a situation when a small child is drowning, that is, when you need to reach out to save yourself, but you do not need to hold on to yourself. on the water and swim somewhere.
Komarovsky says that if you are not confident in your abilities, you do not feel the bottom under your feet – shout, call for help, but do not multiply the number of drowning people with your enthusiasm.
If you do help, try to do it without going into the water, using improvised (ropes, sticks, rubber rings) and floating (boats, boats) means, the expert says.
First aid for drowning: what to do
To begin with, you need to understand that at the stage of emergency care, it does not matter:
- what kind of water (salt, fresh, chlorinated);
- how old is the person being saved;
- what color of his skin (pale, blue);
- how much time he spent under water (under the obvious condition that there are no signs of biological death).
Emergency assistance should be provided to all drowned persons prior to the arrival of professional rescuers.
1. The first priority is to get the victim out of the water as soon as possible.
2. If he shows no signs of life:
- lay him on his back;
- remove obstructing clothing;
- start cardiopulmonary resuscitation (a set of measures aimed at removing the body from a state of clinical death).
3. Resuscitation measures consist of three successive stages:
- heart massage;
- ensuring airway patency;
- artificial respiration.
4. If the victim does not show signs of life, do not waste time trying to remove water from the lungs:
- lay the victim with his stomach down – on the knee of the rescuer, etc.;
- lift the person being saved by the legs;
- pound him on the back.
“There is either no water in the lungs, or little (it was absorbed into the blood), or it cannot be removed by the methods described above. That small amount of water that can still be removed will be removed during a heart massage during resuscitation,” Komarovsky explained.
How to disconnect from thoughts on vacation and relax
5. If the victim has: consciousness / breathing / coughing / limb movements / vomiting, or if any of the following appears during resuscitation:
- give the victim the opportunity to take a position that is most comfortable for him, or lay him in a stable position on his side;
- do not move away from the victim for a second and do not take your eyes off him: the condition may worsen and require resuscitation measures at any time;
- take off wet clothes;
- warm intensively – do not just wrap in dry, but use warm clothes, blankets, even better (if at hand) – heating pads, fan heaters and hair dryers. If possible, bring the victim into a warm room or lay near a fire;
- if the victim is conscious (able to sit) and there is no vomiting, it is advisable to give warm drink (water, tea, compote) in small sips.
“No matter how good the condition of the victim may be in your opinion, he must be taken to the hospital for medical observation. After any drowning, a sharp deterioration in his condition is more a rule than an exception,” summed up Komarovsky.
How rescuers work and how their halves relate to dangerous work – watch the video:
It is also important to know how to provide first aid in case of poisoning: three basic rules.
Subscribe to our telegram
Only the most important and interesting
Subscribe Read Segodnya.ua in Google News