Brand an der Dufourstrasse
“I meant someone was going to burn” – that’s how nightmarish a resident experienced the fire in her neighborhood on St.Gallen’s Rosenberg
On Thursday evening, a fire broke out in an apartment on Dufourstrasse in St.Gallen. The fire brigade was able to quickly bring the fire under control and extinguish it. Nobody got hurt. The day after, a local resident said why this fire was terrible for her.
“No people were injured,” says Roman Kohler, media spokesman for the St.Gallen city police.
(sab / tn / dar / chs) “ The re’s a fire on Dufourstrasse in St.Gallen,” said Roman Kohler, media spokesman for the St.Gallen city police, on Thursday evening. The rescue workers were alerted shortly before 10 p.m. because there was heavy smoke from a garage. The fire brigade, ambulance and police were on site with a large number. The fire later turned out to be an apartment fire that could be extinguished quickly – but the resident lost everything.
A bang, then it smelled of smoke
The shock of the apartment fire in their immediate neighborhood is still in the bones of a resident and her two daughters the day after.
“ The worst thing was that at first I didn’t know whether my neighbor was still in the burning apartment or whether she had already been able to escape outside.”
She and her daughters heard a bang first and then smelled of smoke on the balcony. “We then quickly realized that it must be burning nearby and ran downstairs just as we were – a daughter barefoot,” says the resident. Through the patio door they could have seen the brightly burning room. Because she did not know whether the apartment owner was still in the burning room, she smashed the balcony door and called for her. “That moment was nightmarish. I meant someone was going to burn. ” This terrible feeling is still in her the day after.
Without winter jacket and warm shoes
One of her daughters then called the fire brigade and then they shouted all the neighbors out and saw with relief that the woman from the burning apartment had also stood outside. An older woman in the ground floor flat did not want to go to the front door – the fire brigade broke in her door later and could not get her out of the apartment that way.
Before a few minutes after the phone call, the hundreds of firefighters, police and paramedics had arrived, all residents of the two apartment buildings affected had left their apartments. The resident says:
“Many of us stood outside at minus ten degrees without a winter jacket or warm shoes. My daughter no longer felt her bare feet. “
The firefighters were so busy with their tasks that no one could take care of the shivering homeless. “ The y were all very nice, but we urgently needed a warm blanket.” Fortunately, they would have found shelter with neighbors.
Examined for smoke poisoning
After a good two hours and after everyone had been examined for smoke inhalation, they could have returned to their apartments. “We were lucky. But my friend in the burned-out apartment lost everything in one fell swoop », said the resident the day after, still shocked.
The burned-out apartment is below garages and connects the two properties 101 and 103 on Dufourstrasse. “ The refore, the residents of the two residential buildings were evacuated to be on the safe side,” wrote the city police after the operation in a message. Nobody was injured in the fire. On Friday morning, Kohler said on request that all residents of the two affected houses could have returned to their apartments after midnight. Only the affected apartment is no longer habitable. Charcoal burner:
« The apartment is completely burned out. The property damage is considerable. “
The Stapo spokesman cannot precisely quantify the amount of damage.
According to Pascal Häderli, media spokesman for the St.Gallen canton police, the cause of the fire is still being precisely clarified. In the foreground of the investigation, however, is the improper handling of smoked goods.