The state of health of Felipe de Edimburgo, husband of Elizabeth II and 99, continues to complicate. After spending more than two weeks in hospital, this Thursday Buckingham Palace announced in a statement that the prince had undergone heart surgery "successfully." The reason is "a pre-existing condition", but it has not been announced which one in particular.
"His Royal Highness will remain in the hospital to receive treatment, rest and recover for an undetermined number of days," the palace explained in a brief statement. about the prince, who will turn 100 in June. In 2011, Felipe had already undergone surgery for a blocked coronary artery and spent four days in the hospital.
Felipe from Edinburgh has been admitted since Tuesday, February 16, although Buckingham, as usual, announced it a day later, the Wednesday 17. He then explained that the Duke had been admitted to the Edward VII Hospital in London. "The admission of the duke is a precautionary measure, on the advice of the doctor of his royal highness, after he felt bad," they said, without further specification. What was known is that his problems were not caused by the covid, since both he and the queen were vaccinated at the beginning of the year. Shortly after, it was learned that the hospital admission had been due to an infection.
However, the situation seemed to get complicated last Monday, March 1. Then the royal house announced that Philip of Edinburgh had been transferred to another center, in this case St Bartholomew Hospital , also in London, a hospital specializing in heart problems. “Doctors will continue to treat him for an infection, in addition to testing and observing a pre-existing disease for his heart problems. The duke feels comfortable and responds to treatment, but is expected to remain in the hospital at least until the end of the week. It is in that same center where he has now been operated and will remain until he fully recovers.
Carlos from England went to visit his father the weekend after he entered the first health center, and spent 30 minutes with him after drive about three hours from home. Also Prince Edward, the youngest son of Isabel and Felipe, spoke about his father's state of health and said that he was "much better and eager to go out, which is the most positive." Fingers crossed, said the Earl of Wessex. Camilla from Cornwall, Carlos's wife stated a few hours ago that he was "improving slightly."
At the moment, Elizabeth II, 94, has not come to visit him, and is still practically confined to Windsor Castle, an hour away From london. The queen hardly goes out to public events and does most of her work by telephone and videoconferences.