The government “has no choice” to release additional amounts to help companies hard hit by health restrictions, said Wednesday the Minister of the Economy Pierre Fitzgibbon.
Several Quebec entrepreneurs are struggling to keep their heads above water. The extension beyond February 8 of health measures, including the closure of their business, could deal the final blow to some of them.
The Legault government intends to adjust certain financial assistance programs in the coming days in order to compensate for these significant revenue losses.
“As we speak, with the ministry, we are looking at existing programs. How to lengthen them? How to modify them? Quebec city centers – not just Montreal – must be taken care of, ”Minister Fitzgibbon said in an interview with LCN.
“It is clear that we will have to be there and announce programs consistent with the decisions [sanitaires] that will be taken, he continued. We must allow the ecosystem of entrepreneurs to survive. ”
Earlier this week, Mr. Fitzgibbon said he was satisfied with the impact of the financial programs deployed by his ministry, since last spring, to support local businesses during the crisis.
“Today, we look at the statistics in Quebec and we see that the number of bankruptcies is lower than last year,” said the Minister. “I think that the measures that have been put in place by our government have been favorable and that the disaster has not happened,” he said at the time.
However, he conceded that “the more we delay the reopening of certain establishments, the more vulnerable they become.”