After 20 matches in UEFA club competition, Erling Haaland has scored a staggering 24 goals, scoring at least once against every team he has faced in the UEFA Champions League. As the 20-year-old prepares to take on his father Alf-Inge Håland’s former club Manchester City, marvel at his stats so far.
• With 24 goals in 20 European games so far, Haaland is scoring at an unprecedented pace. At the same time in their careers, the other great forwards today did not have digits close to the Norwegian’s scoring potential; After 20 European games, Kylian Mbappé had scored 12 goals, Lionel Messi eight, Robert Lewandowski six and Cristiano Ronaldo only one.
Haaland’s double against Sevilla
• Even the most celebrated scorers from UEFA’s early club competition years could not match Haaland’s totals. After 20 European games, the great stars of Real Madrid, Ferenc Puskás and Alfredo Di Stéfano, had scored 19 and 21 goals respectively; AC Milan titan José Altafini reached 21 goals in his first 20 matches, while German heroes of the 1970s Gerd Müller and Jupp Heynckes scored 15 goals and 18 respectively in the equivalent number of continental matches early on of their careers.
• Haaland is already Norway’s third top scorer in UEFA club competition, behind Harald Brattbakk (31 in 75 games) and John Carew (28 in 85), but tied at 24 goals with Toré André Flo (who took 61 matches to achieve the same number of goals). His former mentor at Molde, Ole Gunnar Solskjær, finished his career with 23 European goals.
• Only one team has managed to prevent Haaland from scoring in a European match so far, as the forward was unable to see the door on his continental debut as his Molde side lost 2-1 to Northern Irish Glenavon in a qualifying match of the Europa League in July 2018. He scored his first European goal in his next game, a 3-0 against Albanian Laç.
Erling Haaland in the UEFA Europa League against Hibernian in August 2018AFP via Getty Images
• Rhys Marshall of Glenavon recalled Haaland’s debut: “He barely had a shot, to be fair to our defenders. He was very young; there were something like 18 or 19 scouts there to watch. We all knew about him before because there was talk of it. a lot of him. That was in the summer and I think the following January he joined Salzburg. “
• Surprisingly, Haaland’s scoring statistics in Europe have improved with each promotion up the international ladder; with Molde, he has scored four goals in five European games, with Salzburg he has scored eight in his seven UEFA games, and with Dortmund he has scored 12 times in eight games.
• Those brutal figures – 24 goals in 20 games – are equivalent to 1.2 goals per game. If he continues to score at the same pace, he will surpass Cristiano Ronaldo’s record of 137 European goals at some point in his 115th continental game. If Ronaldo had scored at the same pace as Haaland throughout his 184 European games to date, he would have already reached 220 goals.
Against which teams has Haaland scored?
• Except for Glenavon, they have done it against ten clubs: Bruges, Genk, Hibernian, Laç, Lazio, Liverpool, Naples, Paris, Sevilla and Zenit. Eight of his goals have been against Belgian rivals, at the rate of one every 33 minutes.
Minutes per goal
When did Haaland score his UEFA Champions League goals
• Haaland’s goals have so far been spread evenly across the two halves of a match, but coaches of opposing teams should note that he is most fearsome as half-time approaches; seven of his 24 goals have come in the last 15 minutes of the first half.
Natasha Kumar has been a reporter on the news desk since 2018. Before that she wrote about young adolescence and family dynamics for Styles and was the legal affairs correspondent for the Metro desk. Before joining The Times Hub, Natasha Kumar worked as a staff writer at the Village Voice and a freelancer for Newsday, The Wall Street Journal, GQ and Mirabella. To get in touch, contact me through my firstname.lastname@example.org 1-800-268-7116