“The drop in blood donations risks putting our country’s transfusion and health system in difficulty. This is why it is important to act immediately and make your generous gesture as soon as possible. “With these words, the President of Avis Nazionale, Gianpietro Briola, wanted to appeal to the gift to invite Italians to make their contribution even and especially during the summer.
Already in June there was a 10% drop in blood donations, double the drop recorded overall in 2020 (equal to about 5%). In recent days, the National Blood Center has also received repeated reports of a shortage of red blood cells from the associations of thalassemia patients and this criticality appears to be widespread in numerous regions.
“The demand for blood never stops – recalls Briola -. On the contrary: if already commonly about 1,800 patients require a transfusion every day, the increase in road accidents during this period can only increase the daily requirement. spend the summer in the city – concludes the National President – our invitation is to contact the nearest Avis office and book your donation “.
Requirements for donating
– Between the ages of 18 and 60 to apply to become a donor.
– Anyone wishing to donate blood for the first time after the age of 60 can be accepted at the discretion of the doctor responsible for the selection.
– Weight not less than 50 kg.
– Good state of health.
– Lifestyle: no risky behavior that could compromise our health and / or that of those who receive our blood.
– Eligibility for blood donation is determined by a doctor through an interview, clinical evaluation and a series of laboratory tests designed to ensure the safety of the donor and recipient.