After the storm, calm came: after the phenomenal traffic jam, this was the concert of The Killers in Bogotá

Spread the love

Rain, floods, traffic accidents and heavy traffic made it difficult for more than one person to get to the American band's concert at the Coliseo Live , but it was all worth it in the end.

After the storm, calm came: after the phenomenal tranc That's not how The Killers concert was in Bogotá


Santiago Díaz Benavides

After the storm, calm came: after the phenomenal traffic jam, this was the concert of The Killers in Bogotá

Brandon Flowers, lead singer of The Killers. Photography: Debi Del Grande.

The night of November 8, 2022 will remain in the memory of Colombian fans of the North American band The Killers, like the time they attended a concert of almost three hours, full of emotions and a more than special affinity with their vocalist, Brandon Flowers, who despite playing on coffee grounds for the third time, was as moved as the first time, delighting the audience with his charisma and the most emblematic songs of the Las Vegas group.

However, everything could have been a total disaster. Surely, in addition to the show, those who attended the event will never forget the tremendous odyssey that meant reaching the facilities of the Live Coliseum, in the vicinity of the country's capital. Rain and excessively heavy traffic, in addition to accidents caused by collisions between vehicles and floods, meant that mobility in that area of ​​Bogotá was practically collapsed for almost eight hours.

T and I left the house around 6:30 p.m. The buses that the organizers of the concert arranged for the mobility of the people had started leaving at 3:00 p.m., in different parts of the city. Those who decided to take other means to get around also began to move in that time slot, more precisely between 4:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. However, most of the attendees, workers who must complete the eight hours of work a day, could not hit the road until 5:30 p.m. or 6:00 p.m. That was our case.

We arrived at the departure point at about 7:15 p.m. The line was not very long and the previous bus had just passed. They left every half hour bound for the event site. Before arriving, we had heard on the radio that mobility was complicated in that sector and that many people had had to get off the buses to walk. In addition, the rains complicated travel, both in vehicles and on foot.

We had to wait the corresponding half hour and when the bus arrived we were a bit worried. It was not as big as the previous one and the last one to pick up people was scheduled for 8:00 p.m. From the outset, we knew that if we didn't take this one we wouldn't arrive on time. Fortunately for us, there were only four stalls left and a group of friends, who were more than four, gave way for us and we were able to enter. There, the emotion was high, but the nightmare began.

The bus went as far as it could and then everything stopped. Literally everything. I think we managed to sleep for about an hour. By the time we woke up, according to the GPS, there were still 40 minutes to go, but the radar didn't take much into account the traffic situation. We were beginning to resign ourselves when the clock struck 9:00 p.m. The bus driver did what he could, but the reality was that there was no chance. It rained again and with the fall of the drops, that of our emotion.

The band was supposed to leave at 9:30 p.m. and we were still almost an hour away, because with each update of the GPS, 10 or 20 minutes were added. Many people began to evaluate the possibility of getting off and walking. The first to do so decided when, at a medium pace, there were still almost two kilometers to go. The other group decided ten or fifteen minutes before ours, because yes, we also decided to get off. We thanked the bus driver, because his effort was notorious, and in a group of about twelve people, we got off and started walking.

It no longer rained, but the air was heavy. Those in front began to trot and then we all did. You had to keep up with them, because it was 10:10 at night and in that area of ​​the city it is not that Crossfit is practiced much. It was a death march. We bet it all. We stop looking at the clock about ten minutes after starting the march. We go on and on. We cross roads without space for pedestrians and unpaved roads. We get dirty with mud and wet with sweat. Finally, and don't ask the time, we arrived.

Hours later we learned that the band had come out to play later than expected because not all the people had made it, and with good reason. Hot Chip was in charge of entertaining the audience for several minutes. Then we also learned that what we went through others had already gone through and those who followed us had it worse. The entrance, luckily, was fast. Ticket in hand, QR code, door identification. A lot of people were running desperate to get to our places. And so we listen to them. The emotion returned to the body.Human, in the background. And to sing.

After the storm, calm came: after the phenomenal traffic jam, this was the Killers concert in Bogotá

The Killers at the Coliseo Live. Photo: Debi Del Grande.

By that time, the band had already played about five or six songs (When You Were Young, Jenny Was a Friend of Mine, Smile Like You Mean It , Shot at the Night, Running Towards a Place). The party had started without us, but it wouldn't end without at least being able to yell a couple of songs in unison. And, well, it wasn't a couple, but more than a dozen.

Highest moment? Everyone will have their own, but I think something special happened in three passages, particularly, with a bonus included. And I start there, any Hot Fuss songIt will always be cause for excitement. It is one of the most important albums, if not the most, of the North American band. Somebody Told Me made the audience jump and, from there, total frenzy.

The first moment, then, came with Runaways< /i>, which allowed Flowers to fully connect with the audience. They spent around three minutes singing the passage from ‘We can’t wait till tomorrow’ in chorus… Simply sublime. The second moment was the theme that seemed to close the night: All These Things That I've Done. The party was complete. Lights, explosion of pieces of paper, pyrotechnics. Everything in a very short space, and of course, the artist's smile.

After the storm, came the Calm down: after the phenomenal traffic jam, this was the concert of The Killers in Bogotá

Brandon Flowers. Photo: Debi Del Grande.

I must emphasize here that although the band had already visited Colombia on several occasions, this was the first time that T and I had witnessed. What Brandon Flowers generates on stage is something surreal. His energy, his human warmth, his delivery to the public, and, of course, his voice. The word to describe it would be impeccable.

The third moment, when we all thought the concert was over, came after a short break, between one and two minutes. The Man, boy and Just Another Girl were the entrance for the song that made all that odyssey worthwhile, that all this time waiting to see them outside, simply, precise. The entire audience, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it, absolutely everyone was waiting for that song, and if it weren't for the good foundations that Coliseo Live has, the place would have collapsed with so much accumulated energy. Mr. BrightsideIt closed with a flourish a presentation worth remembering and, incidentally, allowed more than one of us to let off steam. I don't remember having shouted and enjoyed so much with another song in any other concert.

After the storm, calm came: after the phenomenal traffic jam, this was the Killers concert in Bogotá

Brandon Flowers, lead singer of The Killers. Photo: Debi Del Grande.

Thank you for coming tonight”, said the vocalist, touching his chest and bowing. “We are The Killers, from Las Vegas, Nevada”. He disappeared from the stage amid applause and for a few more minutes the rest of the band stayed, leaving us as an extra gift a good batch of rocker sound. Pure drums, cymbals and snare drums. Perfect closing.

The start, at least for us, was better than the finish. The buses arrived quickly at the place and likewise headed towards the collection points. We took a car upon arrival and after he dropped us off at home, around 2:30 a.m. November 9th, I realized I had left my phone in the front seat. “There's your chronicle,” T told me. Later, the driver of the car came back to give me back the phone. What a day. Finally, after the storm, calm came.